Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Leek and Potato Soup

Saturday is Farmer's Market Day. I love meandering through the stalls and looking to see what might be new in produce.
This week I noticed that almost everyone had these lovely stalks of green tops peeking out the tops of their bags.
I wasn't too sure what this popular item was at first. And then I found the booth that had them: Leeks. They are such a neat variation of the onion. I don't know much about them but I do know they make for a wonderful combination with potatoes in soup! So that's what I made on my Saturday afternoon at home.


I was out of all basic items (no oil, vinegar, butter, amongst many other things but I wanted to make dessert ... namely an apple galette. But - no apples, no butter ... and my puff pastry was mouldy in the fridge! Boo. So for dessert, I tried a mixed berry tart using phyllo pastry with lemon glaze on top. This would have been great if it weren't for the competing "tart" tastes between the berries and the lemon juice!)

No comments:

Post a Comment